Bushwalking around Bilpin
- Burralow Creek - Burralow Creek, a tributary of the Grose River, can be reached from two directions. From Kurrajong Heights on Bells Line of Road, turn left into Warks Hill Road then left into Burralow Road and follow the 4WD trail 7 km into the valley. Or further west on Bells Line of Road and 1km east of the ‘Fruit Bowl’, turn left onto the Paterson Range Trail and follow it for 10 km.
- Burralow Rainforest Walk or Bulcamatta Falls Walk - On the western side of Burralow Creek camping area there is a sign-posted track. (To find this track stand with the camp toilet at your back and walk across the camping area, go past the side fence and look for sign near stepping stones across creek). Cross the creek and follow the trail past convict ruins to a small waterfall. Glow-worm grottos can be found in the rock face.
Grade: Easy 3km return.
- The Gorge Walking Track -To access this track follow Bells Line of Road 7km west of Bilpin then turn into Valley Ridge Road and follow it for 2km (sealed road) to the Waratah Native Garden Picnic Area. The track leaves from the picnic area wanders around the hillside and overlooks the deep mossy gully of a tributary of Hungerfords Creek. If you look closely you may spot a koala or be lucky enough to see or hear the mimic of a lyrebird.
Grade: Moderate 2km return Hours: 1 hr. return.
- Mount Banks - Entrance to the Mount Banks picnic area is on the southern side of the Bells Line of Road 6 km past Mount Tomah. There are sign-posted walks to the summit (approx. 1hour.) or to the Explorers Walls (2 hours return). You will see fantastic views of the Grose River Gorge as well as distant views of Katoomba and Blackheath.
Grade: Moderate 11km return
Hours: 2 – 4hours return.
- Walls Lookout - This walk is well sign-posted. Turn off Bells Line of Road 11km west of Mount Tomah. Travel along gravel road for 1 km to picnic area where walks commence. Park in top carpark. This walk offers spectacular views over the Grose Valley.
Grade: Moderate 3km return
Hours: 1 hour return
- Pierces Pass - This walk is well sign-posted. Turn off Bells Line of Road 11km west of Mount Tomah. Travel along gravel road for 1 km to picnic area where walks commence. Park in top carpark. This walk starts off quite gently as you enter the Grose Valley, however, be prepared for steep descent and ascent with many steps. Walk leads you onto a lush rainforest gorge before emerging at the base of cliff lines providing views of the valley.
Grade: Difficult 5km return
Hours: 3 hours return
- Rigby Hill - From Pierces Pass Picnic area follow the steep track to the top of Rigby Hill for great views over the Grose Valley.
Grade: Moderate 1.5km
Hours: 1 hour return
Source: Bushwalks in the Hawkesbury (www.hawkesburytourism.com.au/hawkesbury-bushwalks.html)
View Larger Map